Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Gentle Correction

Last week's issue of PeaceMeal focused on relying on God's grace when you need to make a confession in the midst of conflict. If it is difficult for you to identify and confess your wrongs, there are two things you can do. First, ask God to help you see your sin clearly and repent of it, regardless of what others may do (Ps. 139:23-24). Then prayerfully study his Word and ask him to show you where your ways have not lined up with his ways (Heb. 4:12). Second, ask a spiritually mature friend to counsel and correct you (Prov. 12:15; 19:20).


(Taken from The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict
by Ken Sande, Updated Edition (Grand Rapids, Baker Books, 2003) p. 120)

Food for Thought:
For some of you, it may feel more difficult to follow the second piece of the advice above. If so, reflect on this additional quote from The Peacemaker:
"The older I get, the less I trust myself to be objective when I am involved in a conflict. Time after time I have been blessed by asking a friend to candidly critique my role in a conflict. I have not always liked what my friends have said, but as I have humbled myself and submitted to their correction, I have always seen things more clearly."
May the Lord show you someone in your life who loves you enough to gently correct you.

No comments:

Post a Comment